Preconstruction is responsible for participating in estimating and preconstruction efforts with the goal of securing profitable new work, mitigating risk, and strengthening client relationships.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in securing new work that meets the company's profitability guidelines while mitigating and/or accounting for risk.
- Develop new business and maintain and strengthening existing business relationships with Owners, Architects/Engineers, Construction Managers, and Subcontrators as necessary to ensure future business opportunities.
- Actively participate in industry organizations; represent the Company at networking functions, career fairs, trade shows, etc.
- Team with other members of the estimating department, assist develop objectives and goals for the team, and involve operations personnel as appropriate.
- Participate in bid pursuits or preconstruction assignments as established by the leader. Tasks include, but are not limited to; reading and interpreting plans and specifications, performing quantity surveys, producing conceptual and detailed estimates, producing scopes of work, creating bid lists, analyzing sub bids, producing bid clarifications, and value engineering.
- Help enforce presentation standards and conventions, document storage, naming, and organization standards and conventions.
- Assist in the production of General Conditions estimates.
- Propose project durations with the assistance of the company's scheduling resources
- Consult with supervisor on bid strategy.
- Help manage the lead sheet on bid day, including global risk analysis of all trades and provide recommendations to supervisor on final bid price.
- Maintain a knowledge of the market including cost trends, price trends, behavior of the competition, and knowledge of various owners' contractor selection criteria.
- Maintain a knowledge of the local subcontrator market including the specific capabilities, strengths, weaknesses, and reputation of subcontractors across all trades. Use informed judgement in the invitation of subs to bids or use of subcontrators' prices in estimates.
- Participate in preconstruction meetings and presentations. Defend estimates, collaborate with other stakeholders and manage client expectations.
- Participate in post bid reviews with owners. Consult with Senior Vice President of Preconstruction Services on negotiation parameters.
- Take responsibility for management of one or more core estimating elements including but not limited to the vendor list, the internal price book, the supplier list, and the bid board.
- Use latest technology and software to complete projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience, and Special Skills Required
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Business, Engineering, or related field.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and Bluebeam or On-Screen Takeoff.
- LEED Accreditation is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Passionate, self-motivated, and dedicated to high-quality work.
- Ability to perform duties in a digital/paperless environment.
Individuals should be able to reach above and below, stoop and bend, sit, walk, and stand. Individuals should also be able to lift, carry and/or move items up to 50lbs.
May be exposed to heavy machinery/equipment, hazardous chemicals and extreme weather conditions.
Minimum of 40 hours per week required. Work hours will vary depending on project specifications and may involve weekends and night work.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work required. They are not exhaustive lists of duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, physical job demands, and working conditions associated with the job. Successful candidate will seek additional duties to master.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com